SOME KIND OF WONDERFUL - Giovanna Fletcher

SOME KIND OF WONDERFUL is the first book I have read by Giovanna Fletcher and having followed her on social media I thought it was about time I finally picked up one of her books to see what they were like. As her most recent novel has just been released on paperback I thought this would be a great starting point.

Overall the book was a quick easy read, I think I swept through it in a couple of days (in amongst other things). It was a relatively straight forward storyline based around the character Lizzy who is waiting for her long term boyfriend (of ten years) to propose. This was ok to start with although a large proportion of the beginning is taken up by this and at times it was a little obsessive and cringeworthy to read, however I can see how it could be somewhat relatable to others in a similar situation. The story is based on Lizzy’s journey to find her inner self- a notion I loved and found a breath of fresh air as opposed to the usual line of finding herself a new man. Gi also builds in additional storylines around other characters for example Lizzy’s friends and family which helps give the story some more depth as i did feel it was relatively predictable and at times lacked more substance.

The one thing that surprised me the most was the style in which the story is written- I didn’t expect some of the language choices particularly as she uses explicit words as part of the dialogue to build the character of Lizzy. It is also packed with what I would consider as influences of Giovanna’s with nudges towards organisations like CoppaFeel (a charity in which she is highly involved in).

Overall SOME KIND OF WONDERFUL was a quick, easy and relatively simplistic read about self discovery. A speedy chick-lit novel that does exactly what it sets out to do, leaves you uplifted and with a smile on your face!

Rating: 3/5



Comments

Popular Posts