THE FOUNDLING- Stacey Halls

THE FOUNDLING: ATMOSPHERIC AND EMOTIONAL- UNPUTDOWNABLE!

Having absolutely adored Stacey’s debut The Familiars, the release of The Foundling for me was highly anticipated and it didn’t disappoint.

Transporting you to the vibrant backdrop of London in the 1750s, the story centres around The Foundling Hospital where mothers with little options could take their babies to be looked after if they were unable to (until they were able to collect them). The story itself follows Bess Bright, who arrives at the hospital to reclaim her daughter to hear the news that she was already claimed the day after she was admitted into their care by no other than herself. Narrated through two points of view we follow Bess on her journey to reunite with her daughter Clara and an agoraphobic widowed woman, Alexandra who lives with her daughter Charlotte.

The intriguing story gripped me from the first chapter and I loved the atmospheric setting. Halls has a talent for writing beautiful prose and immersing the reader in vibrant imagery that allows you to get lost within the pages. The time period is portrayed with detail and both central characters were equally strong, compelling and believable- I was lost in both of the woman’s story with equal measure. This alongside the enchanting plot, made for an unputdownable read that I raced through in a day. I couldn’t help but be sucked into the mystery and history of Georgian London that is so well embodied within the pages- it evocatively depicts the time and place exceptionally well.

Rapidly becoming one of my favourite go-to authors, Hall’s is definitely on my list of authors to watch for future releases!
5/5

Thanks you Bonnier Books for my proof copy I received at The Foundling launch event- it was an amazing event!




Comments

Popular Posts